Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, hosted Round 9 of the 2018 season and the second Triple Crown Event in Atlanta in front of 60,114 fans.
Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Jason Anderson took the first-ever win in the brand new Mercedes-Benz Stadium for the second Triple Crown Event, a three-city showdown introduced in 2018 where both the 250SX and 450SX Classes compete in three Main Events.
“The track was brutal out there,” Anderson said on the podium. “I didn’t want to take too many chances but luckily I gave myself a good cushion with the first two races and managed the Triple Crown as best as I could. Excited to come out with a win in Atlanta.”
In the first 10-minute 450SX Class Main Event, Team Honda HRC’s Christian Craig caught the lead ahead of Smartop/Bullfrog Spas/Honda’s Justin Brayton followed by Rocky Mountain ATV/MC/KTM/WPS ride of Blake Baggett and Anderson.
An epic battle for third ensued between Baggett and Anderson while Brayton forged his way into the lead for a huge win.
In the second 12-minute Main Event, Anderson nabbed the holeshot ahead of Monster Energy/Yamaha Factory Racing’s Cooper Webb and Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Eli Tomac in third.
Webb pressured Anderson for the lead but it was Anderson by less than a bike length at the finish.
In the third 15-minute Main Event, Craig nailed another holeshot ahead of Baggett and Team Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Marvin Musquin who would come from behind to emerge as the eventual race winner. Anderson, who finished 2-1-4, was awarded the overall win with the lowest combined score.
Eastern Regional 250SX
Round 3 of the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship went to Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Austin Forkner who went 4-2-3 for the overall victory.
“That whole moto was really chaotic,” Forkner said on the podium. “The track is gnarly. You just had to be patient and try to hit your marks every lap. It was my first Triple Crown. It was definitely tough, but it was good.”
In the first 8-minute 250SX Class Main Event, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Martin Davalos got off to an early lead but a mistake in the rhythm section handed Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Zach Osborne the wide-open lead ahead of Monster Energy/Yamalube/Star/Yamaha Racing’s Dylan Ferrandis and Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Jordon Smith.
In the second 10-minute Main Event, Forkner pulled the holeshot ahead of Osborne and Davalos until a mistake by Osborne pushed him back to third.
Davalos managed to gain the lead ahead of Forkner with Smith and GEICO Honda’s RJ Hampshire in fifth.
In the third 12-minute Main Event, GEICO Honda’s Jeremy Martin scored the holeshot and lead from the start while Osborne was caught up in a first lap melee and worked his way from 16th to fifth by the chequers. Meanwhile, Forkner managed a last-lap pass for third, which would hand him the overall victory with a 4-2-3 over Osborne’s 1-3-5.
“It was a tough night,” Osborne said on the podium. “I’m a little bummed to lose it down on the last lap but I’m happy with the way things went. Nice to be on the podium again.”
450SX Class Results
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (2-1-4)
- Marvin Musquin, Clermont, Fla., KTM (4-5-1)
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (5-3-2)
- Justin Brayton, Mint Hill, N.C., Honda (1-6-6)
- Christian Craig, Orange, Calif., Honda (6-7-5)
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha (14-2-3)
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrance, Calif., KTM (3-4-18)
- Dean Wilson, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna (9-10-10)
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki (8-9-12)
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Husqvarna (7-15-9)
450SX Class Championship Standings
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (207)
- Marvin Musquin, Clermont, Fla., KTM (165)
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrance, Calif., KTM (150)
- Justin Brayton, Mint Hill, N.C., Honda (144)
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (137)
- Weston Peick, Menifee, Calif., Suzuki (136)
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha (125)
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda (124)
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., KTM (118)
- Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha (113)
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results
- Austin Forkner, Richards, Mo., Kawasaki (4-2-3)
- Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Husqvarna (1-3-5)
- Jordon Smith, Belmont, N.C., KTM (3-4-6)
- RJ Hampshire, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Honda (7-5-4)
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda (6-10-1)
- Colt Nichols, Muskogee, Okla., Yamaha (5-11-2)
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Suzuki (11-7-7)
- Martin Davalos, Clermont, Fla., Kawasaki (8-1-17)
- Brandon Hartranft, Brick, N.J., Yamaha (12-8-9)
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Suzuki (9-14-8)
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship Standings
- Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Husqvarna (70)
- Austin Forkner, Richards, Mo., Kawasaki (68)
- RJ Hampshire, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Honda (57)
- Jordon Smith, Belmont, N.C., KTM (55)
- Colt Nichols, Muskogee, Okla., Yamaha (54)
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Suzuki (47)
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda (47)
- Luke Renzland, Hewitt, N.J., Yamaha (42)
- Dylan Ferrandis, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (34)
- Martin Davalos, Clermont, Fla., Kawasaki (34)