World Wide Web motocross gossipers are in full flow today as they again discuss the awesome prospect of arguably the world’s fastest motocross pilot, Ryan Villopoto, competing in the 2015 MXGP Championship.
As far back as June we reported on dirtbikerider.com that there were strong suggestions that Ryan Villopoto could race in the World Motocross Championship in the next 18 months.
Then in July we reported that super-fast Frenchman Gautier Paulin – currently signed to Kawasaki Racing Europe – had been offered a Honda Racing Corporation deal and that he had signed on the dotted line for HRC.
After hearing reports that Villopoto could well be on his way to Europe, eight-time World Champion Antonio Cairoli (and Dirt Bike Rider columnist) said he was relishing a Villopoto Grand Prix match-up.
“It seems that Grand Prix is getting more interesting,” said Cairoli in July “Even after the last Motocross of Nations you can see that the Americans are not winning as easy as they did before. Maybe the level [between MXGP and AMA MX] is quite similar… but OK the tracks are very different.”
“I think it is good that he might ride the world championship because it will generate a lot more interest from more media and it gives more value to being world champion if it is against the best American rider,” he added.
The rumours persisted and in August Kawasaki Motor Europe Racing Manager Steve Guttridge confirmed to dirtbikerider.com that key meetings between Villopoto and Kawasaki staff were taking place.
An official announcement that Ryan Villopoto will contest the MXGP series in 2015 is now expected tomorrow (Wednesday, October 1) after Kawasaki Japan and Monster Energy tied up a multi-million pound package for the nine-time US champion.
It’s expected that the 26-year-old and his management will announce the sensational deal which will mean that he won’t defend his AMA SX crown.
During a knee operation in May it became evident that the cartilage damage, with which he had ridden since February, was so serious that he would not be able to return to training until mid-November – too late for a realistic shot at the indoor series which begins on the first Saturday of January.
He expects to be fully fit for the GP opener in Qatar on March 1.
Keep a close eye on dirtbikerider.com for more details on this and more big news on other rider moves.