Throughout a weekend of persistent small rain showers, flaming June it certainly wasn’t – but at least the continual drop of wet stuff kept the track in good racing order.

Round five of the GT Cup went off at Howton Court Pontrilas nr Hereford, and while the weather was certainly a tad indifferent, the racing action once again hit the sweet spot.

Arguably the best racing of the year so far was highlighted by some top draw individual shows, none better than that coming from Charlie Heyman in the Auto section. Without putting a foot wrong over the two day piece, seven year old Charlie racked up another sensational five heat wins.


Unbeaten Championship long, Heyman is proving to be an outstanding prospect as he continually puts the very best of the nations 50cc runners to the sword. Harvey Cashmore ran in as an impressive runner up with three second place returns. Freddie Wyhard claimed second in heats four and five and all but for a first race DNS he would have hit the podium.

As it was wild card Tommy Wright with a super show took third place on the box. In order, Luke Batty, Callum Murfit, Jaygo Beasty and Harrison Borg completed the Championship top six. Batty and Murfitt solid and consistent weekend long finished tied equal on points.

In the 65s an equally towering show laying down a section whitewash puts Ike Carter comfortably clear in the chase for the Junior title. Carter was little troubled as he soon took command in all five races showing speed, guile and craft, and certainly no lack of confidence.

Weekend entrants Tyler Rowe and Reece Martin claimed second and third with Martin narrowly missing out on section silver due to a poor race five result. Rowe finished with a real flourish going 3-2-3. In championship points scoring terms Eddie Jay Wade was second best nailing two second place finishes. As third best points scorer and with another impressive show Bobby Bruce continues his climb up the table, his best race return a third in heat two.

Louie Kessell and Lewis Hall were the other pair making occasional waves at the sharp end, both guys caught the eye but slight inconsistency and bad luck dropped them down the finishing order. The battle for the 85cc small wheel crown rests between Powerband duo Tom Grimshaw and Christopher Mills. Both boys chalking up two heat wins each with the race five victory going to Connor Ford in a one off super charged weekend effort from him.

Mills won the opening two heats with Grimshaw (3-2) having a tough day picking himself up off the floor in both. In race two Grimshaw biting the dust following a clash with team mate Mills. On day two the luck turned completely as Grimshaw dominated with a fizzing 1-1-2 return just as Mills suffered a points deduction for a yellow flag indiscretion and then a last race puncture. All totalled Grimshaw deservedly took the overall and regained the championship lead. Mills took second overall with Callum Beekan stepping up to the plate to claim a terrific third overall. Callum hitting fourth in race one, and then third in heat five his as best. James Bates Arthur Williams and Carl Budge were the next three overall finishers with all three guys showing form that could have seen them finish higher. The same can be said for the next three, Jake Parker, Dylan Spencer and Oliver Cook.

Over in the Big Wheel 85s two race victories for Michael Ellis were enough for him to take another hard fought overall win whilst cementing his championship lead. Ethan Winchester, Tommy Lockhart and Henry Siddiqui were the other heat winners.

And with both Jake Curtis Stevens and Will Jeonney pitching in at the business end in a wonderful close scrap this overall result was in the balance weekend long. Jeonney and Stevens knocking themselves out of the reckoning when they took each other out in heat two whilst fighting for the lead. Tommy Lockhart had just one poor result first time around and with a day two thunderous show – Ethan Winchester can also count himself some what unlucky.

By contrast the MXY2 youth division was a bit of a stroll for Rickie Roderick as he went five from five in cruise control. Roderick now has the series in his grasp as George Fountain gave it large in the round five chase to snatch second overall.

Andrew Fitzgerald and Tony Saunders finished next tied on points with Fitzgerald saving his best until last recording second in heat five. Karl Noble and Adam Day rounded out the top six.

Competing with the big wheels for the best racing watch of the meeting award was the 125s. As usual TM mounted Jim Davies was gloriously at the heart of all that was good as he fought his way through in the first four heats to record 1-1-1-2. In heat five Davies took the lead on lap one and whilst chased hard by Rob Holyoake Davies never looked back to extend his series lead.

Holyoake with his best show of the year only dented or maybe even highlighted by his race four charge from the back nailed second overall going 3-2-3-8-2. Ryan Butler was the turbo charged winner in heat four and he duly took third overall with Luke Smith just two points adrift in fourth. Smith was particularly on the money in heats one and three, carding fourth place results. Elsewhere in the section Jamie Carpenter (fifth overall), Henry Williams and particularly Jonathon Roderick Evans all turned up the heat at one time or another.

Roderick Evans gating like a scalded cat opened up with a 2-5-2 but then suffered injury on day two.

With a swift turn of speed Myles Duffy won the opening gambit in the Clubmans class but with Duffy then dropping out it was all about veteran runner Greg Hanson as he put on a real masterclass. Hanson finished second first time out but then went 1-1-1 leading every inch of the way. Ashley Watt and Sean Bardwell were the main protagonists in the Hanson wake but even with their best efforts they could do little about overhauling the old master.

In the combined capacity experts, MX1 championship leader Josh Spinks was once again the total master (1-1-1-1) as he beat all before him – this including the wild card challenge fronted up by Connor Walkley. Racing a 250 two stroke Walkley threw everything he had at Spinks in all four heats – but despite an electrifying show coming from the young Welshman (2-2-2-3) ultimately he came up just that bit short.

With the clutch failing in heat four Walkley settled for race third as hard charging Seb Osbourne gained second. Osbourne the runaway series leader in MX2 was once again something special to watch as he cut through the 450s with apparent ease. Darryl Maxwell finished in fourth overall in the combined standings as he ran in a solid brace of fourth place results on day one. Lee Strong and Dominic Foreman both carded top five race results as they finished in fifth and sixth overall (combined day results) respectively.