KTM’s Jonny Walker remains at the head of the 2015/16 FIM SuperEnduro World Championship standings despite a difficult night at round five of the series in Prague.
Picking up a lower leg injury in practice Walker was forced to compete in pain yet managed to pick up championship points in all thee Prestige class finals in the Czech Republic.
It was a challenging night of racing for the Brit who arrived in Prague holding a nine-point lead in the championship standings. An unlucky moment during practice resulted in Walker hurting his lower right leg, forcing him to race in pain despite several pain-killing injections.
Unwilling to give up, Jonny soldiered on to end his night with 7-6-6 results and a seventh place in the GP’s overall standings.
With the top three riders in the series now separated by just seven points Walker is determined to give his all at the championship’s final event, continuing his battle for the coveted SuperEnduro title.
The sixth and final round of the FIM SuperEnduro World Championship takes place in Madrid on March 19.
“I’m glad we retained the lead in the standings after such a hard GP,” said Walker. “In the first practise, as I was riding through the log pit, my foot hit the ground and I felt something pop in my leg. It must have been muscle damage but it hurt badly. I rode off the track and from then on it was a matter of salvaging the situation.
“I got three lots of painkiller injections but it wasn’t good. The pain was almost unbearable, especially when I had to put pressure on my right side. At the end of the day I had to get points for the championship so there weren’t many options. I kept pushing and I’m so happy to come away with the championship lead after such a bad night of racing. Whatever’s happened in Prague isn’t stopping me from giving my all for the title. I’ll get things checked and do all I can to be fit for the final race.”
FIM SuperEnduro World Championship Standings (After Round 5 of 6)
1. Jonny Walker (KTM) 241pts; 2. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 240pts; 3. Cody Webb (KTM) 234pts; 4. Taylor Robert (KTM) 193pts; 5. Alfredo Gomez (KTM) 183pts Results – FIM SuperEnduro World Championship Round 5, Czech Republic
Prestige – Overall Classification
1. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 52pts; 2. Taylor Robert (KTM) 52pts; 3. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 43pts… 7. Jonny Walker (KTM) 29pts
Prestige – Final 1
1. Taylor Robert (KTM) 10 laps, 06:39.804; 2. Alfredo Gomez (KTM) 06:49.815; 3. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 06:50.674… 7. Jonny Walker (KTM) 07:16.638
Prestige – Final 2
1. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 11 laps, 07:09.938; 2. Cody Webb (KTM) 07:15.749; 3. Taylor Robert (KTM) 07:16.504… 6. Jonny Walker (KTM) 07:39.494
Prestige – Final 3
1. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 11 laps, 07:17.175; 2. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 07:31.051; 3. Taylor Robert (KTM) 07:32.153… 6. Jonny Walker (KTM) 07:27.606M