Defending champion takes victory on a dramatic last day
Defending champion Manuel Lettenbichler (Red Bull KTM) overcame a 25-second deficit to British off-road superstar Graham Jarvis (Rockstar Energy Husqvarna) to retain the Red Bull Romaniacs crown in a down-to-the-wire finish today.
With conditions slick and treacherous in the Carpathian mountains, Mani kept his cool and ground out a champion’s performance to end the five-day, ultra-tough event almost two-and-a-half minutes up on six-time winner Jarvis.
“I’m over the moon,” said Mani. “It really is amazing. It’s been such a tough year for everyone and it’s cool to get another win here at Romaniacs. I started well but couldn’t believe how fast Graham was going – he was riding so good over the whole four days so congratulations to him.
“We were riding together a lot over the event and that really kept me motivated. I’m stoked to come away with another win. It was hard coming into the race to know how you would fair compared to the other guys as there has been so little racing this year and you don’t know how you are skill or fitness-wise. I’m super happy to take the win!”
The result gives the 2019 WESS Champion back-to-back victories at Red Bull Romaniacs and confirms the 22-year-old as one of the top riders of the sport.
Spain’s Alfredo Gomez (Rockstar Energy Husqvarna) overhauled 2018 champion Wade Young (Sherco) for third with Britain’s Billy Bolt (Rockstar Energy Husqvarna) claiming fifth.
Results – 2020 Red Bull Romaniacs
1. Manuel Lettenbichler (GER), KTM, 20:27:11
2. Graham Jarvis (GBR), Husqvarna, 20:29:37 +2:26
3. Alfredo Gomez (ESP), Husqvarna, 20:41:20 +14:09
4. Wade Young (RSA), Sherco, 20:41:33 +14:22
5. Billy Bolt (GBR), Husqvarna, 20:58:29 +31:18
6. Mario Roman (ESP), Sherco, 22:11:39 +1:44:28
7. Michael Walkner (AUT), Husqvarna, 23:15:01 +2:47:50
8. Teodor Kabakchiev (BGR), KTM, 24:57:25 +4:30:14
9. Michele Bosi (ITA), KTM, 29:22:42 +8:55:31
10. Sonny Goggia (ITA), Beta, 30:04:05 +9:36:54