The MXGP of Trentino was round two of the EMX250 series and what a stunning place with a mega atmosphere.

My team-mate Sam Nunn and myself flew out to Italy while Roland Shaw drove the bikes down and we all met up at the track where Pavarotti bellowed out over the mountains each morning, which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Qualification went OK but I failed to make the cut by 1.5 seconds.


Sam, however, qualified in the 125 class so he had extra pit staff for the weekend! I came away from Italy having learned a lot about qualification and bike set-up.

Once back from Italy it was a quick turnaround for the Maxxis at Lyng the following Sunday.

I was feeling great as the bike was feeling good after some changes we made following Italy in a mid-week testing session.

A strong start in moto one saw me in ninth until a lap from the end when I got passed by Tom Neal but I’m not complaining about breaking into the top ten!

I wanted to back race two up with more of the same but a big crash in the meadow section on lap one put paid to that but I did remount to score some points for 14th overall.

Easter weekend came and I’m still not feeling the love for Hawkstone at the moment, but we decided to race the Fastest 40 class at the Michelin MX Nationals.

I rode okay but was a little bit out of position to where I would like to be. The track was in great condition but rough. It was really nice to ride it dry for once as it always seems to be wet and heavy when I’ve ridden there lately.

On Easter Monday my local club, Luton & District, held its first meeting of the year at the revamped Toddington track. The team has done some great work on the track and keep pushing it forward.

It was nice to catch up with everybody, especially Martin and Steve from DBC Motorcycles who sponsor me. I had two fun races and won both but in race three I punctured early and DNFed. Dad had left the mousses in the race bike – which was at home – so it was his fault!

My annual dose of Evo Racing took place at Ford near Bath, although this time I rode in the modern two-stroke class on Roland’s Hardcore Racing 125cc. It was a lot fun on such a great old-school track and first overall against all those 250cc was just what the doctor ordered.

Canada Heights for round three of the Maxxis was the next port of call. Again, moto one went really well and I recorded a great 12th place and was looking to repeat this in moto two but on the first lap I was punted off the track. I remounted last and charged back to 15th for another 14th overall.

As a local rider to Canada Heights, the series promoter had chosen me to do a filmed lap of qualification and then I had to talk about the track to the film crew which was cool. I hope it comes across well when shown on TV.

On the Bank Holiday Monday after Canada Heights we headed to Wattisfield Hall for a race run by the Diss club. Again, loads of fun as I claimed the overall on the day.

After this we washed the bike with a quick prep and put it away in advance of a week off from bikes and training and some much needed down-time. Even dad didn’t go into the workshop.

Last Sunday was a last-minute thing entering the Bridgestone Masters at Wroxton.

The track was mint as a heavy downpour and good prep made for some deep ruts and close racing. I qualified third, which was great as I’m working hard on my qualification laps at the moment.

The racing was hard as MX2 was mixed with the 450s but scored separately. Both my races I was involved in small pile-ups (not my fault – just in the wrong rut at the wrong moment).

I was riding well and was rewarded with seventh overall on the day.

This Sunday is the MX Nationals ‘Fastest 40’ at Lyng so fingers crossed.

Words: Tom Grimshaw

[more-from heading=”More Motocross” category=”motocross”]