Coronavirus claims its first high-profile off-road event
The spread of Coronavirus has claimed its first high-profile off-road casualty with the cancellation of the opening round of the Italian Enduro Championship.
With the illness spreading throughout the continent, the Italian federation has pulled the plug on the first event of its enduro championship – which was scheduled for March 1 at Passirano in the north of the country.
“These measures include the motorcycle world for the need to prevent risks and better protect the health of all those who, in various capacities, participate in events and competitions,” says an Italian government statement.
“These provisions, as per ordinances of the regions concerned, are valid until Sunday 1 March without prejudice to any further communications in this regard. As regards the Italian Enduro Championship, we therefore inform you that the first round scheduled for March 1 in Passirano will not be played.”
So far there has been no indication of other off-road events being affected by Coronavirus. Over in MotoGP, the first two races of the 2020 season have been cancelled because of coronavirus. The opening race in Qatar was seriously impacted after travel restrictions were imposed on passengers from Italy. Moto2 and Moto3 classes will race in Qatar.
The Thai government said that it won’t be possible to hold the OR Thailand Grand Prix on its original date and so the event has been postponed.
The MXGP motocross series is set to visit Italy for Round Four of the championship on April 5 at Trentino.
[more-from heading=”Latest News” category=”news”]