This morning’s Power Maxed Arenacross Tour Pro Qualifying saw three different motorcycle brands represented at the top of the leaderboard.
Team FRO Systems took a home-round advantage at The Genting Arena in Birmingham, with its number one rider Cedric Soubeyras (Suzuki) posting the fastest time of 27.083, just a 10th of a second ahead of JK I-Fly Yamaha’s ever-improving Dan Reardon, with Shocktech Kawasaki’s Hugo Basaula showing his form in his second AX season, in third.
Rapidly shedding his ‘bad boy of AX’ mantle, Team FRO’s Ashley Greedy continued to prove the value of his off-season training by qualifying as top Brit in eighth.
Ahead of their two public races this evening, the Pro Lites locked racing horns and put in some fast-paced qualifying laps. Championship leader Joe Clayton was the only rider to clock a sub-30-second time with 29.563, whilst his class rivals, Jason Meara and Chris Bayliss in second and fourth were both in the 30-second lane. They were separated by Scooter Webster who put in a storming 30.793 lap to take third pick on the gate.
The younger AX riders, namely the Supermini and Youth 65cc, completed their first races of the day prior to the lunchtime interval. Fresh from his outing at the Dortmund supercross in Germany last weekend, Carl Osterman returned to the fold and took the win ahead of Oliver Kilgour and Raife Broadley. Newcastle victor Buster Hart still leads the championship. The 65cc class saw Harvey Antrobus return to the front with last week’s winner Shaun Mahoney in second and the youngest AX rider, Zane Stephens, third. Mahoney continues to lead the championship.
Birmingham AX Pro Qualifying
- Cedric Soubeyras, France, Team FRO Systems, 27.083
- Dan Reardon, Australia, JK I-Fly Yamaha, 27.184
- Hugo Basaula, Portugal, Shocktech Kawasaki, 27.231
- Thomas Ramette, France, SR75 World Suzuki, 27.308
- Cyrille Coulon, France, SR75 World Suzuki, 27.312
- Fabien Izoird, France, Buildbase Honda, 27.542
- Ashley Greedy, GB, Team FRO Systems, 27.563
- Jack Brunell, GB, Team Green Holeshot Kawasaki, 27.886
- Charles Lefrancois, France, Buildbase Honda, 27.956
- Nico Aubin, France, RFX Suzuki, 27.984
Birmingham AX Pro Lites Qualifying
- Joe Clayton, Team Green Holeshot Kawasaki, 29.563
- Jason Meara, JK I-Fly Yamaha, 30.363
- Scooter Webster, Shocktech Kawasaki, 30.793
- Chris Baylis, Wooldridge Demolition, 30.919
- Billy King, KTM, 30.934
- Harry Kimber, Yamaha, 31.039
Birmingham AX Supermini Race 1
- Carl Osterman, 20 points
- Oliver Kilgour, 18
- Raife Broadley, 16
- Josh Jones, 15
- Buster Hart, 14
- Kai Tucker, 13
Birmingham AX Youth 65cc Race 1
- Harvey Antrobus, 20 points
- Shaun Mahoney, 18
- Zane Stephens, 16
- Ashton Boughen, 15
- Jake Davies, 14
- Kyron Carron, 13
Doors open to the Arena at 4.30pm this afternoon. The evening programme will get underway at 7.30pm.
Tickets are available on the door or, for those unable to make the Live show, the AX Live TV view-able via www.arenacrossuk.com offers a live streaming facility for just £10 per round.